We’re really cranking now!
As promised, here’s part two of my solo podcast wrapping up everything significant that’s wandered through my head for the first portion of this experience. Here I cover Nonclusions 10 through 17, touching on such spicy topics as local optima, existential angst and greener grass!
Heads up, the beginning might not make much sense if you didn’t listen to the last one, since Point 10 kinda follows from Point 9. It’s, like, up to you, man.
– Episode Notes –
10. Americans are tremendously ungrateful all the time, but feeling guilty about it doesn’t help.
Wikipedia – Drug Tolerance
11. Western development might be a local optimum.
Operation Groundswell – Ladakh Video
Wikipedia – Local Optimum
Sam Harris – Science Can Answer Moral Questions
12. Or, Western development might just be what happens when the free market gets so good at meeting your desires that it makes them obsolete.
Louis CK – “Everything Is Amazing and Nobody Is Happy”
Chris Ryan – Civilized to Death T-Shirt
13. The inherent abundance of digital media makes your time the limiting factor in enjoying it. And we don’t like to think about that at all.
14. There’s a time and place for grappling with the horrors of modern global problems, but it’s definitely not “all the time” or “everywhere.”
Duncan Trussell Family Hour – Episode 258 w/ Dan Harmon
Wait But Why – Neuralink and the Brain’s Magical Future
15. The only way anything every improves is by accumulating opportunities to fail.
New York Times – Kids, Would You Please Start Fighting?
Westworld – Quote about mistakes
The Institute – Complex Systems Thinking Video
Netflix – Chef’s Table Trailer
16. The question at the bottom of all human suffering is whether or not the grass is greener on the other side.
17. It’s good that I’m doing this.
The MonkeyBuddha Diaries – Reflections on Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
Jordan Peterson – Six Minutes on the True Purpose of University Education